February 20, 2013

Triangular bag :: a tutorial

Triangle bag :: a tutorial

You can't look past the Martin Margiela triangle bags on the net lately. I had seen this type of bags before, pre-Margiela, I mean, and a lot cheaper too. I liked the minimalism - they reminded me of Japanese bag folding, furoshiki. The ingenuity is striking - a good example of how to optimize under constraints (this is the economist in me speaking) or translated in sewing terms: how to make the largest bag possible given only a small piece of fabric.

Triangle bag :: a tutorial


Anyway, as I was trying to figure out how to make one of these, I found out you can do so in a couple of different ways (I figured out at least 3 different methods). It all boils down to basic geometry, combining shapes in one way or another. I made several and I find the method described below to be the easiest one. All it takes is a rectangular piece of fabric, some folding and basic sewing skills. And if you prepare your fabric by hemming it all the way around, you can make this bag in under 15 minutes. As fast, almost, as furoshiki folding, except that this one's permanent.

What you need:

Note: this bag can be finished in many different ways. I won't go into detail here, but you could add lining, pockets, add a longer strap, finish it off with boxed corners, etc. Just know that when you add something you'll need more fabric.

- a rectangular piece of fabric, where the length of the fabric equals three times the width. To give you an idea of the dimensions: a 50 cm x 150 cm piece of fabric results in a 65-70 cm wide bag (which is really big!) depending on how you finish the seams.
- sewing machine, thread, pins
- Iron

Triangle bag :: a tutorial


Instructions:

1. Hem the fabric all the way around.
2. Place the fabric in front of you, right side facing up, and start folding as shown in the pictures.
3. Pin the fabric together where it says 'sew' on the picture. Flip over and repeat on the other side.
4. Sew together both seams on the machine. Turn inside out. Press.
5. Handle: Join the tips by overlapping them and sew into place.
A nice detail: before joining the tips I slipped on a piece of leather - a detail I was really proud of. It's only while looking at the Margiela pictures, right now, as I was writing, that I noticed they did the exact same thing...


That's all there is to it! I hope you like this bag as much as I do...


Cheers,


Pascale


As with all of my tutorials, please note, this tutorial is intended for personal use only. Therefore, do not reproduce, sell or commercialize in any form. Thanks for understanding!

If you made something using a tutorial found on this blog or if you got inspired by something you found here, make sure to post your pictures here.

35 comments:

trapos a voar said...

Thank you for another great tutorial. I will definitly give it a try!

fraufertig said...

Very nice, I really love your style. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I love this bag. Thanks!

Ama said...

So nice and so simple! Thanks for sharing it! Love your work!

wapiti said...

Wow, nice bag. And so simple!!!

Carmen Bouchard aka CarmencitaB said...

Very clever, Thank you!

Anco den Dekker said...

Awesome! I reckon one could use a big scarf (pashmina??), then there is no need to hem the sides.
Thanks for the tutorial.

Frances said...

Pascale, thank you very much for revealing the mystery behind this very clever, economical bag.

I think that I will have to try to make one ... I am already thinking about which fabric to use.

Your posts are always terrific. I always pop by, even though I don't always leave a message.

xo

thezenofmaking said...

I love how simple and useful this bag looks! Thanks for sharing!

Marjorie Lacombe said...

This is a really beautiful bag, I'm such a huge fan of its minimalism. Well done!

Cheers,
Marjorie
<a href="http//www.thekipiblog.com>The Kipi Blog</a>

Kate said...

I like and I'm going to give it a try. Many thanks.

samsstuff said...

I like the look of this & you've made it so simple, thank you for the tutorial!

maarnietvangrijs said...

Really awesome, great idea!! I had to try it the same evening: http://maarnietvangrijs.blogspot.nl/2013/02/lui-en-moe.html
Thank you so much for the tutorial!!

Arantxa said...

A great idea, congratulations, Thanks!!!

kitblu said...

Genius! I arrived via Craft Gossip and will stay to look around.

Tracy said...

I'm fairly new at this. I had a question. When you line it do you make the lining the same way you made the outside of the purse? Or a tad bit smaller? Thank you for the great tutorial!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

What a great bag design. Thank You!

woolywoman said...

for those of us still laboring under inches, I found a piece of fabric 15 inches long and 44 inches wide made a nice sized bag- a little smaller than a market bag, but perfect for a few quick purchases. I used bias binding instead of hemming. Thanks for the instruction!

Donatella said...

I have an ugly fleece scarf and I need a big bag to go to work. Now I have found the solution.
Thanks for the tutorial and for giving me this idea!
Donatella

becky said...

Saw your purse on craft gossip looked around your site looking forward to trying you tutorials Thank-you for all you offer

Ine said...

LOVE THIS BAG!!!
I'm going to try it!!!
What kind of fabric do you use?

Ine

Pascale said...

@ Ine: I used linen - but any fabric could work. However, consider lining the bag when using a light weight fabric. Hope this helps
@ Tracy: lining: I always make the lining the exact same size as the outside.

sueb2 said...

brilliant idea! many thanks.., cant wait to try it out

Minouche said...

Thank you for this great tutorial!

Beth said...

This is really cool! I've been working on making a pattern for a similar bag. :)

Maríamanual said...

Perfecto para el verano.

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial. This bag is based on a Japanese bag called the Azuma bag. I make these with a slightly different method.

Pascale said...

Finally! Mystery resolved! I knew this type of bags had to have a name! Thanks for sharing!

Julian Levi said...

Nice blog... Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I will definitely try this and will come back to your blog for more..!
flight bags

Lori said...

Wow, I ove the simplicity of this bag!! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

wohowww..great tutorial..so easy and quick. just tried on a an old piece of fabric. thanx for sharing

Christine said...

Absolutely gorgeous! And I love the simplicity of your tutorial.

I wanted to let you know that I tweeted about this (since as far as I can tell you aren't on Twitter and would never see it otherwise). Here's what I wrote: https://twitter.com/tutebot/status/336536263538663426

Erin Estella said...

I love your tutorials! thanks for sharing!

Fam Leenaerts said...

Love this bag!
[img]https://plus.google.com/photos/102450338287954182086/albums/5923088161698977025/5923089092961801570?banner=pwa&pid=5923089092961801570&oid=102450338287954182086[/img]
I made a version from an old jeans, cut up one leg to get a piece of 30 by 90 cm (with the back pocket on it). Made a lining exaclty the same way (but left an opening for turning), sewed together at the top, turned, pressed, topstitched et voilà! Oh, I also added a zipper pocket using this tutorial http://www.craftpassion.com/2010/04/sewing-tutorial-internal-zipper-pocket-for-bag.html.

Belinda said...

Great bag - it brought back memories from when I used to make these almost identical style back in the 1970's.

Related Posts with Thumbnails